Wednesday 28 December 2011

DID SOMEBODY SAY FUDGE?




I'm currently sitting at the airport in Calgary waiting for my long delayed flight back to Vancouver. I'm bored as hell so I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite holiday treats- divinity fudge. It's a finicky recipe and made with pure sugar but I love it. I realize the holidaze are almost over but new years is this weekend so I'm not allll that late.

________________________________________________________________________________________


you'll need...

2 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
you will also need parchment paper, a candy thermometer and an electric beater...

combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a pot and heat. put your thermometer in the pot but be sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. keep on the burner until the thermometer reads 274 degrees F. usually you want to keep it cooking until what they call the "hardball" stage which is 254 degrees F but i misread the thermometer and both batches turned out perfect. so you choose!

while the sugars are cooking, beat your two egg whites in a large, deep bowl (you will be adding the sugars to this bowl later) keep beating until the egg whites turn frothy and stiff, but not dry. they should hold their shape, like little mountains. when sugars are done, add to the eggs whites and beat on high until the mixture is stiff and no longer shiny. be patient here, you will have to beat for a while. (10 mins perhaps? i didn't quite keep track) when done, spoon in lumps onto parchment paper and let cool. TA-DUHH! fudge! it's best to do this on a dry day. i've made this so many times and it doesn't turn out. it will taste the same, but it will be goopy and won't dry.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Enjoy your new years! Don't get too crunky. No, that's a total lie. I don't mean that at all. Be as wild (and safe) as you can be!! It's the new year! I'll be in the woods, on a frozen lake, in the center of the universe with a ton of friends drinking our faces off.

And meet Buddy...I don't think I've ever seen his eyes in the 9 years we've had him. 


xo

1 comment: